The paint on your steel garage door may tend to dry and peel over time. The reason for this is constant exposure to the elements. The pain of steel garage doors can also peel if not applied correctly, or the wrong type of paint was used on it. While you can always call for professional roller door repairs in Adelaide, you can actually DIY this one. As long as you’re not dealing with a broken or loose spring, it’s okay to repaint your garage door. In this article, we’re going to show you how you can fix peeling paint on your garage door.
- Scrape all the dried, chipped, and peeling paint off your steel garage door. You can use a rigid, metal putty knife.
- Lightly roughen the surface of your steel garage door by sanding it. You can use a portable disk sander or medium-grade sandpaper. Doing so will clear the area of any debris, as well as allow the paint to adhere to the metal without any issues.
- Sand any existing rust on the steel garage door using medium-grade sandpaper.
- Wash the garage door with a solution of a third-cup of trisodium phosphate onto two gallons of warm water. Use a sponge and wipe the solution onto your garage door. Make sure you wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from the strong soapy solution. Rinse the door with clean water. You can use a garden hose to make the process faster.
- Wipe the area using a clean, dry cloth.
- Apply an even coat of rust-inhibiting steel primer with zinc into the bare surface of your garage door. Expert roller door repairs in Adelaide would recommend that you wait for two hours for the primer to set. You can also dry to the point where it’s only slightly tacky to the touch.
- Test the acrylic-latest paint by applying a small amount of it onto your steel garage door. Use a paintbrush and wait for another two hours for it to dry. Once dry, place a piece of masking tape over the pain to see if it peels off. If it does come off, that means it didn’t stick to the door. Click here on how to fix that. If it doesn’t, then you can now proceed to pain the entirety of your garage door.
Congratulations! You’ve just repainted your garage roller door. For more guides just like this one, make sure you check out our blog page. You can hire professional roller door repairs in Adelaide for more severe issues with your garage door.